Saturday, March 24, 2012

Chapter 9



BPOV

Edward and I hung up a few moments later and my mind was blank. I just couldn't think for a moment.

Then the hype started.

Both Alice and I started jumping around the room and squealing with pure happiness.
We had finally done it. We had an escape from this hell hole and nothing, nothing at all could wipe the smile off of my face as I thought about taking the few things that I cherished from this room and never looking back.

"I can't believe it!" I laughed as we finally calmed down enough to sit down and look at the email that Edward had sent through to me.

Before I could even open it, Alice's own phone went off and she skipped to the bed to answer it.

The expression on her face was the same as mine had been as she spoke with whoever had called her. She smiled and talked sweetly to whoever was on the other end and I swear I even saw her blush a couple of times.

I couldn't stop the grin on my face as I looked away from her and opened up the email.

Dear Bella,

Thank-you for taking the time to apply for this position within our company and I am sorry that the details have been vague at times, but as discussed on the phone, I think face to face would be better suited for both our needs. A full and detailed explanation as such will be explained in the interview.

If it is acceptable to you, we would require for you to travel to our office, here in LA, and stay with us for a minimum of a week. In this time, you will meet with various members of staff, get fitted for clothes and go through a medical exam.

Everything will be dealt with in the strictest confidence and we will not disclose any details about you with anyone other than our own company.

Please find attached the details of car services, flights and accommodation for yourself during your stay here.

I personally hope that you will be comfortable enough to take on this job, as I look forward to working closely with you.

Yours thankfully,

Edward Cullen.

A few things stuck out for me, one line literally jumping out at me 'I personally hope that you will be comfortable enough to take on this job, as I look forward to working closely with you.'

That spoke volumes to me and it put me slightly on edge.

Why would I need to feel comfortable with working with him?

I opened up the attachment, the contents of which shocked the hell out of me.

A car would be here on Friday morning to take us to Sea-Tac, where we would be in first class down to LAX. Another car would then pick us up and take us to a house that had been reserved for our personal use.

No luggage would be needed as everything would be catered for, including any personal items and spending money. All we needed to bring was our ID.

"What the hell?" Alice said over my shoulder after she wrapped up her own phone call and she looked like a fish out of water.

"I know!" I gasped as I read and re-read the email and the attachment.

"Bella, this sounds really iffy and I don't like it much. Jasper, the man who just called me, sounded as vague as your Edward. He was nice and all, but he wouldn't answer some of the questions I had. Do we really know what we're getting ourselves into?" she asked nervously.

"It can't be worse than what we're living through now, right?" I asked as I stood up.

"Didn't we say no matter what, we were getting out of here?"

I needed a drink.

"We have a couple of days to think this over, Bella, but I really want to know more about them." She grinned wickedly as she sat down at the computer and cracked her fingers, wiggling them above the keyboard.

"No, Alice, don't Google. I just want to go there and see what they have to offer. We still have our fall back plan, but I think, at the moment, I would be happier not knowing what we're getting ourselves into," I said firmly as I handed her a coke. "Besides, if we don't like what we find with the them, we've at least gotten a free ticket far away from this town. Nothing says we have to be on that return flight back here, and we wanted to go south anyways," I said with a smirk as I sat down next to her.

The minimum amount of time we would be there was for a week and I didn't like the thought of getting back on a plane to here, so we would have to make do with the plans and at the end of the week, if it wasn't what we wanted, we could go from LA to somewhere else.

"Really, you don't even want to know what this Edward guy looks like?" she asked with a pout and I laughed.

"Hell no, I just want to get there and see for myself," I laughed as we clinked glasses and laughed some more.

The rest of the night was spent throwing out anything that I didn't need or want anymore and by the time Alice had to go home, I had a huge pile of trash to deal with before I could get into bed.

It was now Thursday evening and Alice was in her element. Her father had given her permission to stay over at my place for the night, on the pretense of going into the city in the morning to go shopping. Unsurprisingly, she put on a very good act of saying that she didn't have anything suitable for such a big date and he caved.

He didn't have a clue about what our plans really were and we could finally breathe.

My mom though, she was different. She had made a huge production of making me feel about an inch big over how I would never get my dream job and how I should have saved enough money to go to college.

I was now starting to hate her.

Truly.

"Bella, what else do you need to sort out?" Alice asked as she broke through my thoughts while I stared out of my window.

I was in need of just five minutes to think.

"I don't know, Alice," I sighed as I stood up from the small window seat and walked over to the bed. "Edward said we didn't need to bring anything, but I feel awkward about them providing everything for us," I said as I picked up her legs and put them over my lap, "and if we bail, we need to have some of our stuff at least, don't ya think?"

There was no way that I was going there with nothing but the clothes on my back. I didn't want them, whoever they were, to have that hold over us. I didn't voice my concerns to Alice because, quite frankly, one person panicking was bad enough.

"It'll be alright, Bella. They said we had the jobs, and we finally have something to look forward to, so don't stress. But, we can pack some stuff just in case if it'll make you feel better." She giggled as I collapsed backwards onto the bed.

Alice had changed her tune a little since we got the phone calls and 'date night' loomed. She was just as desperate for this as I was and she was starting to see this as a positive thing, no matter how it turned out.

We snuggled up closely as we talked softly about what LA could bring us and what we could bring to LA.

We woke up early the following morning, but I was too nervous to eat anything for breakfast.

I knew mom was in bed, so we tiptoed around the house, ensuring we didn't wake her.
By seven-thirty, we were outside with just our purses and a small carry on each as we waited for the car. We had rolled up a few changes of clothes and a few personal items to take with us, but that was it.

I had managed to down a coffee, and now my stomach was churning in on itself.

The furthest either of us had ever been was Seattle, and here we were, heading towards where world famous people lived.

I just couldn't wrap my head around it all.

"The car's here, Bella," Alice squealed quietly next to me as I took in the huge limo that was now driving slowly down the road.

They sent us a fucking limo?

"Wow," I gasped as the shiny black car came to a stop right outside my house.

"Let's go!" Alice giggled as she skipped down the path, dragging me with her.

"Slow down, Alice," I laughed softly as the driver got out and gave us a nod before opening our door.

I took one last look at my family home and then slid into the car next to Alice.

"Here's to our new life and a great adventure!" Alice laughed as she kissed me soundly on the back seat.

A great adventure indeed.

1 comment:

  1. I would have been like Bella, overthinking everything and maybe even doing the googling. I think it was pretty stupid of them of not checking, but since this is fiction, I'll go witht he flow...

    ReplyDelete